Saturday, November 21, 2009

To tan or not to tan?


Last week my friend Camille Dupas did a presentation about the tanning controversy going on that stated the radiation from tanning beds is a carcinogen.  Her presentation got me thinking about whether or not I should be tanning indoors. I worked at Fabutan Sun Tan Studios for four years while I was in high school and university. While I was working there I obviously tanned  indoors regularly. 

After I quit working there, my tanning visits became less frequent due to my busy work load in college. But I still went when I could and enjoyed the way a tan made me look and feel. This summer I was tanning outdoors at my boyfriend's cabin when I noticed a mole forming on my arm. When I was in high school I had three surgeries to get "cancerous" moles removed from my neck and leg. So I have always been worried about getting melanoma or some form of skin cancer.

After I noticed the mole this summer, I decided that this was it. I haven't gone tanning inside or outside since. I really do miss it though. I miss the "glow" of my skin and the way it made me feel. I hate that I look so pale and miss the warmth and energy I got from tanning regularly. I have almost gone back to Fabutan many times in the last few months, but have been able to stop myself.

I don't know how much longer I can fight this off, but I have realized that tanning can become an addiction. I have seen many people in my Fabutan days addicted to tanning and vowed to never become one of them. I have tried the lotions, the sprays, and fake tanners but they all streak and fade. I really hope that I can stay away from the tanning bed, but don't know if I will be able to for much longer. This is so funny to me, I'm talking about tanning as if it were a cocaine addiction. But, maybe to me it is?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment